Monday, October 30, 2006

All the people inbetween

We enjoy holidays and special days at our house. Half birthdays included. Honoring the kids teachers at special times is always a joy and it is easy to find something fun and nice to say. For one reason there is only one valentines, July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas per year plus the teachers are different each year. However, for the Ministry Assistants at church it is a a little more complicated. We have been here almost 5 years which means, 5 Valentines, 5 July 4ths, 5 Halloweens, 5 Thanksgivings, 5 Christmas', 5 Secretaries Days etc. What possibly could I say that would adequately express thanks but in a new and fresh way?

Well today I decided to make Lemon Poppyseed bread for our School teachers, Ministry Assistants and Custodial Staff. I thought the yellow and black of the bread would be fun for Halloween. And on the little cards I wrote, "life would be scary without you!" Okay so, Poet Laureat I am not. But, after I made peace with the cheese factor of what I had written, something really hit me. Life really would be scary without all the people inbetween each and every process and product that we take for granted. For every Ministry Assistant that keeps church offices running, thank you. For every person that handles a loaf of bread from the harvesting process to make the flour to the stocking of a loaf at my local Walmart. Wow. It is amazing to think what it takes for us to have the conveniences we have.

So from a cheesy gift attachment to a serious reflection. Life would be scary without all the people inbetween that we rarely get to see or acknowledge.

No comments: