Friday, August 04, 2006

Amy Stroup

This is the 3rd year that our church has brought Amy Stroup from Nashville to do a concert. She is amazing. She is as talented at the piano as she is with her guitar and above all she is a great songwriter, worship leader and role model for kids.
If you are thinking of doing a concert and need a good artist, get hold of Amy. She is really growing her career as an "inde" artist and you will be blessed by the depth of her lyrics and the singability of her music. Check out amystroup.com (the site was having some issues, so if you don't get it first time, keep trying).

Amy grew up in Abilene and she has written a song called "chasing greenlights." She tells of how often when driving down Tredaway Blvd. in Abilene she would get caught at every red light. Soon enough she learned that if she drove at 28 miles, she could catch them all green. Her point is that when we allow God to drive, he enables us to hit the green lights and we can make our way through life (not for one minute saying it will be a road without struggles, but He will walk with us). However, when we are in control and keep wanting to yank back our life control we so often just hit red light after red light.
That seemed pertinent for me today. I think I will spend the rest of my life having to hand back control to the real driver.

3 comments:

Amy S. Grant said...

I haven't heard of Amy but I do remember that ole Treadaway Blvd. My boss used to call it the armpit of Abilene. :-)

Jim Martin said...

Arelene,
I was surprised to see Amy's name in your post! I've known her Dad for many years. In fact, I remember Amy as a child in Alabama before they moved to Abilene.

Jim Martin said...

Arlene,
Just noticed that I messed up your name in the previous comment. Sorry.
:)