Thursday, January 20, 2005

American Idol

Yes, I am a fan! I will even admit to having read Clay Aiken's new book. It was wonderful. Tease me if you like....
While watching last night it struck me that something is wrong here. I am not American and so I do not pretend to fully understand all the cultural nuances, however I know that something is wrong here. I think this culture does a fantastic job of instilling external confidence in children. When I think of South African kids they seem so much less sophisticated, much more aware of their "child" status in the pecking order of life. That can be good and bad. However, I think I am discovering that this external confidence is not always grounded in a sense of self-esteem because of self awareness and acceptance. I think it is a disguise used to ensure acceptance. Do you see the difference? I may be reaching but I am wondering why so many people think they are better than they actually are. I think we spend time praising people and complimenting them for being special when they are ordinary. I am all about praising my kids - I am a Mom. But praise for an external accomplishment does not take root in the heart like recognition for effort, responsibility and hard work does. I think we have over awarded, over "certificated" and have told so many people how special they are, that very few really are. I love giving my kids cards, coupons and surprises, but that is because of who they are, not what they can do. Our society tells us that we can be anything we want and that is not true either. Ambitions and drive are the cornerstone of progess and I am thankful for that. But, honestly people I am never going to be a scientist. It is awesome to be passionate about your thing - that is how God designed us. But lets put our big girl panties on and realize we do not need to be King of the World!

No comments: