Sunday, September 03, 2006

Unity and perhaps History

Today was an awesome day of worship. During the month of August, David and I worked in Kids worship and so we missed out on the corporate experience with our church family for a month. That was hard. I am so moved by the corporate worship experience, and it is my fuel for the week of ministry that without it I feel depleted. So, simply it was just good to be in the service.

But, today was so much more. Our preacher swapped pulpits with the preacher from Washington Avenue Christian church today and their preacher came and preached for us. It was fabulous on so many levels. He is a funny, gifted and engaging speaker as well as an insightful teacher. The lesson was great. But the power of the experience was not in the "quality of the speaker or the message." It was in the actual event. It was unity taken a step further - not just a nice goal that is never acted upon, it became an action before our eyes. At the close of the service our elders embraced Jim and he them and they stood arm in arm as we closed singing, "We are the body of Christ." Powerful. Powerful.

The time of worship in song was full and glorifying and our worship leader was able to create a worship environment that drew me in close to God. I feel like I "did" church in a huge way today which helps me "be" church for the rest of the week.

2 comments:

susan said...

Arlene, well said. I was so moved yesterday, but you put it so much more eloquently! Well, I finally dove in and started my own blog. So far so good. Have a great holiday! Susan P.

Jim Martin said...

Arlene,
This sounds like it was a powerful morning.