Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Reverse Tithing

I keep hearing those words in my brain. I tend to over analyze things anyway and this one for sure. I heard an interview with Rick Warren on TV the other night and he was asked if it was true that he "reverse tithed." He said yes quite humbly and moved on. This is what this means...He gives 90% and keeps 10%. He has paid Saddleback back for the salaries he has earned over the last 20 years and I know there is more. It is easy to think that his 10% is still a nice little sum, but that is not the point. He stated very clearly that the reason for doing this is to keep him and his family away from the trap of materialism. What a lesson for me. I keep thinking about the implications for my little world. What are the things I am doing to keep myself from the trap of materialism?

1 comment:

Amy S. Grant said...

Wow! That's pretty radical. Thanks for posting this - sure puts things in perspective.